Cornworthy Parish Council
EQUALITY & DIVERSITY POLICY
Adopted at a Council meeting held on: Monday 13th February 2023
The aim of this policy is to communicate the commitment of Cornworthy Parish Council, its Members and Officers to meeting the Public Sector Equality Duty, which came into force on 5 April 2011. The Equality Duty applies to public bodies and others carrying out public functions. It supports good decision-making by ensuring public bodies consider how different people will be affected by their activities, helping them to deliver policies, representation, and services, which are efficient and effective; accessible to all; and which meet different people’s needs.
2. Policy Statement
It is Cornworthy Parish Council’s policy to provide representation, information, facilities, services, and employment to all irrespective of:
- Gender reassignment.
- Marriage and civil partnership.
- Pregnancy and maternity.
- Religion or belief.
- Sexual orientation
Cornworthy Parish Council is opposed to all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination. All people and employees will be treated fairly and will not be discriminated against on any of the above grounds. All decisions will be made objectively and without unlawful discrimination.
Cornworthy Parish Council recognises that supporting Equality is of primary importance. This policy will help Councillors and Employees of the Council to develop sound and effective policies that impact on the community and surrounding areas.
Cornworthy Parish Council aims to create a culture that respects and values each other’s differences, that promotes dignity, equality, and diversity. We aim to remove barriers, bias or discrimination that prevent individuals or groups from realizing their potential and contributing fully to the community to develop a culture that positively values diversity.
Cornworthy Parish Council will challenge discrimination. It aims to provide equality and fairness to all in the community and expects all Members and Officers to be aware and understand the Equality Act 2010.
3. Equality Commitments
Cornworthy Parish Council is committed to:
- Promoting equality of opportunity for all persons
- Promoting a good and harmonious environment in which all persons are treated with respect.
- Preventing occurrences of unlawful direct discrimination, indirect discrimination, harassment, and victimization
- Fulfilling our legal obligations under equality legislation and associated codes of practice.
- Complying with our own equal opportunities policy and associated policies.
- Taking lawful affirmative and positive action where appropriate
4. How we will implement this policy
- Communicate the policy to all Councillors, Officers, and members of the public
- Incorporate equal opportunities into general practices
- Ensure that other persons or organisations will comply with the policy in their dealings with thecouncil
5. Monitoring and Review
The effectiveness of our equal opportunities policy will be reviewed annually, and action taken as necessary.
In addition to the Council’s internal procedures, any person has the right to pursue complaints of discrimination under the Equality Act 2010.